Robert Plant and the Sensational Spaceshifters, RAH, 31st Oct 2013


Number thirty for me and in the best possible venue ever.



So the thirtieth show was of course one of the best I've ever seen. Too bad I wasn't there. A bit like that Alice Cooper show in Bournemouth. Just not into things at all, I know I shouldn't do anything else on the day of a big show but of course I've presumed of my energy once again. All I could do was sit there and listen and try not to move too much which of course is the opposite of what I normally do.



Every time I think it's the best Plant has ever done and every time he goes one better and does it again. Better each time, no wonder he's never looking into the past, as he made sure to remind the audience. I nodded vigorously, no indeed never look back, you'll never find peace of mind if you do. Plus it's the best way to keeping your soul alive. 





This new project is a bit of a melting pot from several previous incarnations. The remodelled Strange Sensations, now called Sensational Spaceshifters, fitting name really as it's a journey through time and space, new old songs, old new songs. I always prefer to hear songs that aren't from that certain band some of you might have heard of, but often they are shaped so differently that they take on a new life. That sure goes for Rock and Roll for instance, amazing arrangement! 



This isn't even "world music" or whatever people will call it, it's pure music, the way things should always be. The journey takes you all around the world and back to the source, around the world in 80 minutes. "The Enchanter" is a fine example of this. And some re-worked pieces take you back in time then whirl you around and propel you into a possible future. Seriously, who need a Tardis there?





























The ever changing set list (shamelessly taken from Tight But Loose):


Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
Satan Your Kingdom Will Come Down
Spoonful
Black Dog
Another Tribe
Going to California
The Enchanter
Four Sticks
Fixin’ To Die
What Is And What Should Never Be
Whole Lotta Love

Encores

If I Ever Get Lucky
Rock And Roll.






Apparently the Royal Albert Hall has a great acoustic, but I sure didn't notice, I think it was because I was right next to a wall and the sound reverberated in this corner and got all muddled up. I've said it before these endeavours only sound the best outdoor, this music has to breathe and be set loose. Also, I must see this band again in a standing venue.



So, all in all not my best experience (my own fault) but by far not the worst, and one of the best shows I've had the pleasure to see in thirty years of concert going


Comments

Popular Posts